DIY: How to make a fabulous memo board

Remember this post about Rosa Leigh's room in progress? Well, I accomplished two out of four items on my to-do list. I know. Wow. So here is the picture of her memo board before I finished it:


And here it is now!



As you can see, I finally finished the ribbon and painted a frame around it on the wall. Cute huh? Here is how I made this thing outta scrap wood, faux leather, and some fabulous fixins (cost me about $20):

Materials:
-Margarita on the rocks (first thing's first)
-Piece of plywood or mdf cut to size
-Enough yardage of fabric to cover the front and overlap by at least a few inches on each side. (I used faux white leather from Joannes)
-Batting (I used pretty thin batting from Joannes. I didn't want it to be too tufted looking. Up to you)
-Upholstery tacks (got those from Joannes too, but available at any home improvement or craft store)
-Staple gun and lots of staples
-Hammer and needle-nose pliers
-Ribbon (you can do some fancy math to figure out how much you need or just wing it like I did)
-Picture hanging hardware

1) Lay the batting on the floor and center the wood on top of it.
2) Cut the batting evenly on each side to make it at least 3 inches larger than the wood.
3) Wrap the edges of the batting around the edges of the wood and staple. Don't pull too tight, and you don't need a ton of staples yet.
4) Repeat step one through four with the fabric. Use more staples on this layer, and don't forget to not pull too tight. If you do, you'll make it wrinkle on the front.
5) If you are a patient perfectionist, measure and mark even intervals around the frame so you know where to place your ribbon. I am impatient and lazy, so I eyeballed it.
6) Start wrapping your ribbons and securing with one staple at each end on the back. Finish all parallel pieces in one direction first, then do the other direction.
7) Hammer the upholstery tacks in at each intersection. This was so frustrating at first until it dawned on me to use the pliers to help hold the tack in place while I hammered.Then it was super easy and kinda fun - my favorite step!
8) Finish the back by trimming the ribbons and installing your picture hanging hardware.
9) Hang it, girl! (or boy!)


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4.5.11

    I have a wooden table almost exactly like the one in the picture! Great memo board!

    Kathy Little

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You have no idea how happy this makes me.