Latest Painting: Hello Yellow


My latest painting was for my entryway. I wanted something super clean and graphic and, well, welcoming. So this is what I ended up with. I wasn't sure if my average visitor would like it, but this painting has gotten much love thus far. So I thought I'd post it for those of you who haven't visited lately.
I got the idea from a split-second glimpse of a Chanel logo I saw in the background of some video I saw while mindlessly surfing the Internet. I wish I could tell you where to find that, but I've since searched EVERYWHERE for it to no avail. I might have actually dreamed it. Who knows. The logo was encircled with a band of black dots, and that was the seed for this idea. But the thought of free-handing all those dots made me wanna forget the whole thing and take a nap instead, so I started by designing the layout on my computer using Illustrator... here is digital the image:


I borrowed an old-school projector from our tech dept at work for a weekend. I've always heard of crafty girls using these things for DIY murals, so I thought I'd give it a try. After painting the yellow block onto my giant canvas, I projected the image from my computer onto it and started tracing the dots with a pencil. It took me about two and a half vodka martinis to finish. And that's why the rightmost dots are a little wonky. But who cares.


Then, using a black Sharpie oil paint pen (available at most art supply stores and on Amazon) I filled the dots in. That was on night two. I had to be sober for that step. Then I free-handed the rest.
This painting was surprisingly fun to create. I think the repetitive precision was somewhat therapeutic for me at a time when my world had gotten pretty inexact.  It was definitely a huge leap from the painting I did just before that, which you can see on the opposite wall here. By the way, imagine "Hello" sunken in a nice glossy white frame. If you like that idea, please send cash.



2 comments:

  1. SUsan Everitt14.4.11

    You used the word wonky - love it!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! One of my favorite Susan words!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You have no idea how happy this makes me.